Wednesday, June 24, 2009

March 20, 1985 - "The Big Day"

The "Big Day" has finally arrived! Al came in at 7:30 AM, at 7:35 a nurse came into catheterize me OUCH!! That really hurt! At 8:00 AM I was wheeled into the labor room, where I was given an epidural. The needle itself didn't hurt, but having to sit up and bend over was a job and a half. The feeling was strange, the anesthesiologist kept checking to make sure I was getting numb. Kathy, Dr. Zelnick's nurse came in, she would be going into the operating room. Then Dr. Zelnick came in to see how I was. Deacon Humphrey came in and gave me a blessing.

The anesthesiologist kept checking my blood pressure with a machine. It was getting really low so he did it manually and somehow he was able to read it. I was REALLY nervous. I remember telling Al this was it, and I kept shaking because of nerves. I also said to Al, no matter if we have all boys or all girls this was it!!!

Then it was time to wheel me into the operating room. It was strange with no feeling from my chest down to my toes. I was put on the operating table, then everything starting happening, the nurse and Dr. Zelnick put sterilized liquid on my abdomen, then a drape was put at my chest so I couldn't see the operation. Al was at my left side of my head, so was Kathy. The anesthesiologist was at the top of head, another nurse was at my right arm. Dr Zelnick was at my left side then I don't know where everyone else was. There were three neo-natologists, three nursing teams, and three doctors. I didn't feel any pain when Dr. Zelnick was cutting me open. The only think I felt when Dr. Z started lifting the babies out was, a huge weight was being lifted off of me. Dr. Shram, Dr. Zelnick's partner was there also. Then at 9:58 AM it was announced a GIRL, another GIRL and another GIRL! I must say I was shocked, I just knew I was going to have all boys, but I was so happy I had girls. To hear three little babies wailing away was something. The main thing was that they were all healthy and had all their parts :-). The first time I was able to see them was when they were being weighed. They were names Baby A, Baby B, Baby C. I was given three more ID bracelets on my wrist with their "names". After the babies were somewhat cleaned up and wrapped in a blanket with little smurf hats on, a nurse brought over Baby A for me to kiss. During this Al took pictures and when they were ready to wheel the babies to newborn nursery he went with them. Because of their weights: 6 lbs. 2 ozs., 5 lbs. 3 ozs. and 6 lbs they didn't have to go to newborn neo-natal. Everyone in the operating room was amazed at the size and what good health the babies were in. Of course I just knew everything was going to be all right. After all, every two weeks, Dr. Zelnick took a sonogram to make sure they were growing at a good pace.

I was stitched and clamped then put on a stretcher and brought to the recovery room. On my way in and out of the operating room Deacon Humphrey was there praying for us. I was so grateful to him for being there the whole time. Mom & Dad got to come into the recovery room to say goodbye for a week. They were able to see the babies when they were being transported to the newborn nursery.

Being in the recovery room I missed everyone awaiting the arrival of the girls at the newborn nursery. Everyone form Finance was there including Fred, Martha, Dianne and Lynn.

The worst part was the nurse pushing on my stomach to get any extra blood out! When I finally was wheeled back to my room, everyone had left.

At 4:00 PM I finally got see our babies. I was still groggy from the pain medicine I had been given, so I wasn't with it. It just seemed so strange that these three beautiful little girls who were kicking the daylights out of me the day before are just laying in the "cribs" so peacefully.

Al was so proud of the girls and handled them like an old pro. It seemed like the camera was clicking away every minute.

Their little arms, fingers, legs and toes are so skinny and perfect. But it was hard to really enjoy them because of the pain and sleepiness.

Then Al left, I know he was tired, but was flying on cloud nine. I wonder if he remembers driving home.

No comments: